Search This Blog

About this Blog

During the semester, I shall post course material and students will comment on it. Students are also free to comment on any aspect of American politics, either current or historical. There are only two major limitations: no coarse language, and no derogatory comments about people at the Claremont Colleges. This blog is on the open Internet, so post nothing that you would not want a potential employer to see. Syllabus: http://gov20h.blogspot.com/2023/08/draft-introduction-to-american-politics.html

Monday, November 5, 2007

Democrats Eat More Sushi?

So we know that race, nationality, and other factors can be used in gerrymandering. What about number of sushi restaurants?

Not surprising to me... it would be interesting to see what other unrelated lifestyle differences correlate to party preferences. For example, I'm sure map makers could predict voting trends using data on number of Starbucks cafes and Walmart stores in a district.

Side note: There are hundreds of Starbucks in New York City, but not one Walmart. I'm a Walmart fan though. We have a K-Mart under Astor Place, I think. I like my sushi, but I don't drink coffee. I bet Starbucks could get away with selling sushi in those cute display cases. Maybe next to Clinton '08 stickers. I'd buy the sushi, at least. Nothing too fancy, just some california rolls. Bundle it with Starbucks Green Tea and bam. So money.

No comments: