Search This Blog

About this Blog

During the semester, I shall post course material and students will comment on it. Students are also free to comment on any aspect of American politics, either current or historical. There are only two major limitations: no coarse language, and no derogatory comments about people at the Claremont Colleges. This blog is on the open Internet, so post nothing that you would not want a potential employer to see. Syllabus: http://gov20h.blogspot.com/2023/08/draft-introduction-to-american-politics.html

Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Brown Recordings

The Wall Street Journal reports (full text here) on a story that we shall discuss on Monday. An aide to California state attorney general Jerry Brown -- a former governor who is running to get his old job back -- recorded conversations between Brown and several reporters without telling them. The staffer quit, but the recordings have become public. They offer a window on how politicians deal with the press. At certain points, Brown is explicitly trying to shape coverage. See this exchange with Bob Jabro of AP:

BJ: Anything else, sir?

JB: No, I think. They’re a little more inflammatory than I am so they get higher up on the damn story. So I gotta say something like “shocking.”

BJ: You’ve been around this job too long!

JB: What should we say? Shocking and…

Gerber: To me it was “smoke and mirrors” was the quote.

BJ: Smoke and mirrors is good, right. Well, thank you sir, I appreciate it.

JB: Play with it and if you need any more rhetorical fusillade, call me, will ya? Because I don’t want this to be an unbalanced story. I want equal firepower on both sides.

BJ: Thank you sir, I appreciate it.

No comments: