Search This Blog

About this Blog

During the semester, I shall post course material and students will comment on it. Students are also free to comment on any aspect of American politics, either current or historical. There are only two major limitations: no coarse language, and no derogatory comments about people at the Claremont Colleges. This blog is on the open Internet, so post nothing that you would not want a potential employer to see. Syllabus: http://gov20h.blogspot.com/2023/08/draft-introduction-to-american-politics.html

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Review of Huntington

I posted my paper on Huntington and identity on my personal blog, if anyone is interested. Money graf:
I believe his book succeeds in raising the important issue of immigration and the many challenges it poses for America. Yet it fails on four fronts. First, he exaggerates the isolation and lack of assimilation of Mexican culture in America. Second, he incorrectly juxtaposes "cosmopolitanism" and "nationalism" as mutually exclusive. Third, he undervalues the integration power of just an American Creed. Finally, he fails the test of realism: he describes many problems but offers no solutions. When the issue is immigration, the train has already left the station, and pragmatism should reign.

1 comment:

Charles Johnson said...

I would agree with most of your points, except the Mexican immigration issue. I think Mexican immigration can be problematic just as immigration from one large culture to another is problematic. Chapter 7 of Huntington's book discusses this in greater detail, but namely, I think it's very dangerous road towards bilingual culture. History, as I noted on your personal blog, has shown that a powerful nation cannot endure as a bilingual power.